Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pink Damask Tutu




In true "Gilded Burlap" fashion I rescued this tulle off of a birthday party table as things were getting cleaned up and thrown away. I've had the tulle in my stash for a while. Last week was watch week at ballet for Brooke and a few of the girls had darling little tutu's. I was inspired. I bought the ribbon, satin and flower last night. I couldn't wait to see the idea in my head become a reality. Now I'm excited to post it and share it with you. Here are the basic steps I followed.
1. Gather tulle with a basting stitch and gather to the waist size you desire.
2. Cut a strip of satin.
3. Press satin so there are no raw edges and fold it in half.
4. Stitch accent ribbon onto satin while it is opened out and flat.
5. Put the tulle in the center of the satin and pin to form a sandwich with satin on both sides and tulle in the middle.
6. Sew satin leaving long ends to use for a sash to tie onto your ballerina.
7. Attach accent flower with hand stitches.

1 comment: